Are you a teen who loves to sing and perform? Are you planning to pursue a college degree in vocal performance?
The Teen Vocal Studio is a unique training program for young Pacific Northwest Singers considering a future in music and opera. As a member of the Teen Vocal Studio, you’ll join one of North America’s leading opera companies to learn first-hand about pursuing a career in vocal performance. Seattle Opera will complement your own private lessons, helping you build many other necessary performance skills with workshops in musicianship, drama, auditions, lyric diction (IPA), and more. In addition, you will gain recital and performance experience—including a performance in a production of a complete opera as part of the Youth Opera Project. Studio members receive special access to company rehearsals and masterclasses with Seattle Opera’s renowned artists.
Teen Vocal Studio commitments will primarily take place on Thursday evenings beginning at 6:00 PM and Saturdays beginning at 10 AM. A detailed schedule will be available closer to the beginning of the program.
HOW TO AUDITION
Due to the ongoing pandemic, we are acepting video submissions in place of in-person auditions for the 2020/21 Teen Vocal Studio. If you are interested in auditioning, please complete the following:
- Fill out this brief audition form to tell us a little about yourself and provide some logistical information.
- Record and upload a video of your audition piece to our Dropbox.
- Each singer should submit one video of an art song, folk song, aria, or musical theater piece in any language for their audition.
- Videos should be accompanied by a piano track. This can be accomplished by playing an accompaniment track in the background of your video. If you do not have access to an accompaniment track for your song selection, please email us at email@example.com and an accompaniment track can be created for you.
Tips for making a good recording:
- You will need two devices; one to record and one to play your piano accompaniment track.
- Use either a recent smart phone or computer to record your video.
- Set your phone or device in the Horizontal position at eye level and place in a fixed spot. Do not hold the phone yourself.
- Place second device playing the piano track close to the recording device.
- Put the light source behind the phone. Do not stand in front of a window or lamp.
- You should be visible from the knees up.
- Try to minimize background noise during the recording session. Not just pets, kids or spouses but also things you might not even notice like furnace fans.
Thinking about auditioning? Here is some important information:
- Teen Vocal Studio auditions are open to current high school students (except seniors graduating in 2020).
- The deadline for submitting your audition is midnight on Friday, August 21, 2020.
- While participation in Teen Vocal Studio is not limited to Seattle residents, regular attendance at program sessions in Seattle will be necessary in the event that we are able to resume meeting in person.